Great products better
Building addons if often a vital component of building integrations - as an integration often is deployed as an addon for each system it integrates. And at CodeArt we love the challenge of extending existing systems in an elegant way. Both Episerver, Contentful and pretty much any other extendable system we come in contact with.
Allan, CEO of CodeArt says:
One of the things I love about Episerver is it's extensibility and how easy it is to build addons for it. And over the years I've built numerous add-ons for Episerver. Some of them are available today as open source, some have been productized - and others have met a silent death.
Some of the Episerver Addons I've been involved in the creation of are:
- MobilePack - A quite widely used plugin for CMS 6 to provide Mobile capabilities. Many of the features were later rewritten and productized into the core of Episerver
- CriteriaPack - Initiated on Codeplex by me, later development done by Episerver Dev.
- Virtual Roles - Add-on for CMS 5/6. Was part inspiration for the CMS 6R2 feature Visitor Groups which exist and is used today for personalization in Episerver
- Self-Optimizing Block - A CMS 7 feature for content optimization. Was later productized and is today maintained by Episerver Dev.
- ServiceAPIExtensions - An extension to the Episerver ServiceAPI to allow for full content CRUD operations. The latest versions of the Service API solves some of the same problems as this one - although it is still read-only.
- Forms - The current way to work with web site forms in Episerver. It's build and maintained by Episerver Dev, but I worked on the initial prototype and product managed it for it's first year.
- Episerver Cognitive Services - An add-on that let's you use Azure Cognitive Services to enhance Media meta data in Episerver.
I've also made experimental add-ins for Office, Extensions for Google Chrome and Connectors for Microsoft Flow and Zapier. Not all of them have been released, but has instead solved their purpose as demos or prototypes to evaluate an idea. Others might be released later...
Easy property inheritance in Optimizely CMS
Ever needed a way to inherit property values down through the page hierarchy in Optimizely CMS 12? Now there is an easy way to enable that.
AI Assisted Content Creation - in Optimizely CMS & Commerce (AI Series - Part 2)
AI assisted content creation is an exciting new approach driven by algorithms and models like GPT-3, DALL-E, Stable Diffusion and more. At CodeArt we've been experimenting how to use these technologies to enhance the editorial process. In this second part of the blog series on the topic I'll share a video of a prototype integration to Optimizely (Episerver) CMS of content creation using AI for both images and text.
Content Report Generator v.2.
When you are about to migrate a site from CMS 11 to CMS 12, it's not unusual to want to do some rewriting and re-implementation to clean up the architecture as part of the project. When you do that (and in many other cases) it can be incredibly helpful to have a handy overview of your content, it's usage and your visitor groups and their usage. Here is an easy way to get that.
Listing all endpoints in Optimizely CMS 12 / .NET 5
Routing has significantly changed in .NET 5 - and that affects many parts of Optimizely (Episerver) CMS 12. For example we have to get used to endpoints a middleware. As I am working on upgrading a few different add-ons I found it could be useful to see which routes are registered out of the box.
New Project: Optimizely (Episerver) Health Checker
Wouldn't it be nice if there was just one place you could go and get an instant overview of the health of your Optimizely (Episerver) installation? With checks that are both technical, functional, business and covers product, addons and implementation? Here it is. Or at least the start of something that could be very useful.
Overriding and Extending Episerver Dojo Functionality
This is a small guide on how you can easily change or extend any of the Episerver dojo modules.
Adhering to Consent with Cookie Information for Episerver
In the EU the past year has added even more rules and regulations to which cookies can be set, which data can be collected and which consents are needed for it. While it may not be tricky to add a basic consent box, adding one that adhere to all the proper legislation and then follow the consents given can be a bit more challenging. In this post I take a deep dive into how Cookie Information's solution together with their Connector for Episerver can make it easier - and faster to accomplish.
How to setup dev & build environment for an Episerver Addon
Over the years I have been involved in quite a lot(!) of Episerver addons and integration projects. A key to a successful add-on is to get the entire project and environment correctly setup and working from the start. This is my recipe.
Introducing the DeveloperConsole for Episerver
Often you find yourself creating Scheduled Jobs in Episerver, only intending them to be run manually - and often annoyed that they don't support parameters. This blog post introduces a new approach to solving the same problem: The Developer Console.